On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 19:06, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Saturday 21 Aug 2004 7:29 am, Stephen Kühn wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I have, however, been able to check out a few folks in the past that
> > have never used a Mac or a Windows based machine; and in meeting
> > their simple needs (email, websurfing, word processing) I have been
> > able to give them a linux desktop right from the get-go; to them,
> > anything else is strange and unusual and unfriendly...
>
> Out of interest, which WM do you use for them? Do you find that learning
> any WM seems to be as easy as any other - and the first one learned is
> always preferred, or are there Linux WMs that seem to be easier to
> learn than MS Windows?

KDE and Gnome appear to be the best; one client ended up liking
WindowMaker however (but he's a strange fellow anyways).

KDE appears to be the easier of the two (between Gnome and KDE) and a
bit more intuitive (and appears to be feature packed in relation to the
way that Gnome first appears - rather spartan and, well, boring with
crappy fonts and visual candy).

Most luck so far has been with KDE. I would recommend it in a situation
where you have a very "newbie" person starting out - less question,
easier to comprehend.

I have tried out Rox in a kids situation - THAT worked quite well for a
tight, locked down desktop and simple application launching.

--
stephen kuhn - proprietor
illawarra computer services :: a kuhn media australia venture

I'm DESPONDENT ... I hope there's something DEEP-FRIED under this
miniature DOMED STADIUM ...