C. Tresenriter wrote:
The thing is, this drive that isn't working properly is a
replacement. When going into the SATA setup utility with the
returned unit, I'd hear 10 rather loud clicks - so the it
went back to the store. Now I'm hearing a single click (not so loud)
when starting the setup utility, I see the info above and about 10
seconds later the drive spins down, while the other one just keeps
on spinning.

Guess it must be the drive again - but that strikes me as not likely
- or at least odd.
Both this troubled one and the one I returned had black cases, the
one that works is in a silver case. Both were manufactured in 2004
in March and May. On top of that, the guy I've been dealing with
tells me he's had WD drives (exclusively) running in 6 machines some
for as long a seven years and never had a problem with them..... ah
well...

If the drive is ticking / clicking when operating, this sounds not good, but you know for sure if you attach the drive to a single-bus IDE connector.
They're both 160GB (which probably means 100Mhz busspeed max for those drives).
Western Digital drives works pretty nice but they have two large disadvantages:
Temperature and poison air.
Too warm or too cold is something that kills a WD easily.

By poison air i mean:WD had the lame method of vacuum-sealing the drive with one large label enclosing the whole drive.
One little punch hole and the drive died quickly.
Also the seals do not tempt to stick very long when temperatures rises up to above 40 degrees celcius which also caused poluted air to get into the drive.

If you buy a drive watch out for such vacuum-sealing methods, they're not properly
designed to last long.

Another tip:avoid placing drives directly above or below cooling fans:they disrupt the drive and make it crash and even break it down. Also never EVER buy fan-racks for harddrives, it's not nesessary and your harddrive will die within three months if you nail those racks under your HD.
There is a Compaq desktop type machine (DP/EP800 series) which have the harddrives mounted directly above the coolingfan of the CPU. These drives burn out constantly. (Fujitsu's in this case) May take a year or little longer, but they won't last three years.