C. Tresenriter wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:42:36 +0200
Vincent Voois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If the drive is ticking / clicking when operating, this sounds not
good, but you know for sure if you attach the drive to a
single-bus IDE connector.

Unfortunately, the drive has no IDE connector.

Hmmz, i've been awake too long last night.

If you buy a drive watch out for such vacuum-sealing methods,
they're not properly designed to last long.

        Hmmm... I'm assuming you're talking about the label covering
        the top of the drive? Both the working and not-working drives
        have holes on the top besides the ones under the label.. so
        maybe I've dodged a bullet here?

Well, there is always a hole to be covered as there is no real other way to vacumise the drive, but not a complete crack between the top and the bottom case as was the case with many WD drives. The strip was glued around the whole side of the drive so if you accidently ripped it by scraping it against a pop-nail pit during installtion of the drive, you could say your drive goodbye as well as the warranty.
http://www.info.univ-angers.fr/pub/richer/ens/deug2/ud44/img/dd4.jpg -> the dark-grey strip covers a very large space.

The newer techniques pasting the top plates onto the bottom-case. It is much better, but i still run into the older type of drives occasionally.