On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:00, MyEE wrote:
> Dears,
>
> I am trying to setup a small network at home consisting of MDK10 and
> Win98 connected together through by two Ethernet card and a cable using
> Samba.
>
> I setup my network as shown below. I wonder if I am missing anything.
> Can anyone help with IP addresses. Can anyone point me to a good
> tutorial for this
>
> Linux Box MDK10
> Workgroup HABGROUP
> IP  192.168.1.1
> DNS  192.168.2.1
> Network 192.168.1.0
> Netmask  255.255.255.0
>
> Windows
> IP 192.168.1.100
> DNS 192.168.2.1
> Netmask 255.255.255.0
> Workgroup HABGROUP
> WINS ?????????????
>

> SAMABA
>
> ???????

You have received lots of good advice, but I am going to backtrack a bit and
ask a very fundamental question.

Did you remember to buy a 'Crossover' cable instead of the usual 'straight
through' cables.  ?

The Ethernet interfaces on your computers are not intended to connect directly
to each other. They will normally connect to a hub, switch, or router.  If
you want to connect computers together directly you need to get yourself a
crossover cable.

There is usually a little green light by the Ethernet socket that will light
up when it is connected correctly.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net