Derek Jennings wrote:

On Thursday 26 August 2004 05:00, MyEE wrote:

Dears,

I am trying to setup a small network at home consisting of MDK10 and
Win98 connected together through by two Ethernet card and a cable using
Samba.

I setup my network as shown below. I wonder if I am missing anything.
Can anyone help with IP addresses. Can anyone point me to a good
tutorial for this

Linux Box MDK10
Workgroup HABGROUP
IP  192.168.1.1
DNS  192.168.2.1
Network 192.168.1.0
Netmask  255.255.255.0

Windows
IP 192.168.1.100
DNS 192.168.2.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Workgroup HABGROUP
WINS ?????????????

SAMABA

???????

You have received lots of good advice, but I am going to backtrack a bit and ask a very fundamental question.

Did you remember to buy a 'Crossover' cable instead of the usual 'straight through' cables. ?

The Ethernet interfaces on your computers are not intended to connect directly to each other. They will normally connect to a hub, switch, or router. If you want to connect computers together directly you need to get yourself a crossover cable.

There is usually a little green light by the Ethernet socket that will light up when it is connected correctly.

derek

Dear,

I have told the guy I need it to connect two PCs. As a matter of fact I was using this cable to connect two Windows XP boxes and it was fine.

Thank you