On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> Mark is right. Read Dave Whitinger's The Battle that Could Lose us the
> War in LinuxToday at:

Hmm. . .not to fire any opening shots or anything buuuuuuuuuuut. . .

i read Mark's post and my question is what is the relationship between open
source and the web browser?  i could get packages and apps via FTP if need be,
and i can stay in touch and up on info with email and newsgroups   None of
these require a browser.

Also, to make the statement that the web browser is THE KEY app makes a bit of
a large (and to me personally insulting) assumption.  All the time i spend "web
browsing" as opposed to doing other things (3d modeling, GIMP work, music
composition, writing code, etc.) is quite in the minority.

The Open Source Community was here before the web.  I won't say that the web
hasn't affected it any cuz that's certainly not true, but c'mon folks:  The
Open Source Community is bigger than the web, and to say that it will topple
because of the lack of a "super web browser" is somewhat tunnel visionish in my
opinion.   We're all members of that community, so ask yourself:  Do you have
plans to quit using linux simply because of the state of the browsers (and
trust me, i have the same netscape problems everyone mentions)?  If so, i mean,
if your OS choice is all about which one has a web browser, why not grab DOS
and a copy of webspyder?  That's a pretty stable combination i think.

I dunno folks.  Not trying to start a war, just saying that to me computers are
more than browsing the web.  I use linux because it works.  Did Linus Torvalds,
the FSF, GNU, and all the other key players in the Open Source movement create
it in hopes that it would spawn the uberbrowser and rule the web one
day?   If so. . .doesn't that just make us all another Microsoft, or AOL, or
Netscape or. . . . . .

And now a bit of relevant humor for those ready to string me up or at least
flame me quite completely:

I was at work the other day and a gentleman comes in to start a seasonal
position.  His name is Winfred and on his name tag was the word WIN.  So i
thought to myself hmmm. . .i should change my name tag to read STARTX. . .but
then i thot. . .nooooo. . .doubt anyone at work would get it and as cool as
"startx" sounds when you say it, i don't think i want to be called that.  That
and it's a dead joke if u have to explain it to someone. . .

--

Seth Gibson
www.mp3.com/PSM0x2710