On Wednesday 25 August 2004 07:28 pm, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2004 07:32 am, JoeHill wrote:
> > Some aliases you can add to your .bashrc once you get the
> > hang of it (these are courtesy of the great command line CD
> > writing guru Mr. Tom Brinkman):
> >
> > alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=24
> > dev=1,0,0 -data'
> >
> > alias bacd='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=24
> > dev=1,0,0 -pad -audio *.wav'
> >
> > alias biso='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=16
> > dev=1,0,0 -dao'
> >
> > alias mkcdimg='mkisofs -r -o cd_image'
> >
> > alias ripacd='cdparanoia -vB 1- /home/<user>/wav/'
> >
> > (watch the line wrap, each alias should all be on one line)
>
> Thanks Joe for posting Toms alias's.  I've got a few of them in
> use but I never did catch all of them.

   A few words of caution. 'bdcd' is currently
alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=24
dev=ATA:1,1,0 -data'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    See the difference?  I run cooker and I've been kept shuffled
between scsi-emulation and ATA.  Current 10.1 beta's have me back
to ATA, which requires adjusting my aliases and editing fstab to
point to the proper device (ie, scd* or hd*). 'cdrecord -scanbus'
will alert you as to which to use.  In some early implementations
only 'cdrecord dev=ATA: -scanbus' will work.  So try both.

    Much of the above (ie, scsi/ATA) is why GUI's often fail.

    Also, for anything but audio cd's an image must be made first,
then burned.  In the case of 'biso', you've probly already got an
image (ie, iso) so just 'biso name_of.iso' does it.

   For data files, 'mkcdimg /path/to/dir/' makes an image of all
the files in dir/. The image is named 'cd_image' and is created
in the dir you run the mkcdimg command in. Then burn with
'bdcd cd_image' in that directory.  'du cd_image' must be less
than 702MB's.  Overburning is not advised (doesn't work anyhow ;)

     For audio CD's 'bacd' needs to be run in the dir the .wav's
are in.  I've needed to add -sao to do audio burns. To avoid
errors when the total time of the wav's is close to 80 minutes.
I believe this is due to a change in newer cdrecord versions.
alias bacd='cdrecord -v -eject driveropts=burnfree speed=24
dev=ATA:1,1,0 -sao -pad -audio *.wav'

    As to credit:  Most all of my burning aliases were shamelessly
stolen or adapted from examples in the CD-Writing-How-To   and
some other online sources.

..... out of disgust and frustration with GUI apps for burning ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American