On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:11 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 06:23, Lanman wrote:
> > Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > > Now that you mention it spellcheck only works randomly.  That is
> > > now its working in 5 or 10 seconds it will quit, or not, and it may
> > > start again within one reply.  With my spelling ability it needs to
> > > work all the time and it would be nice if it made suggestions like
> > > google did you mean. It is now disabled[As-you-type spell checking
> > > disabled.] as expected and all I was doing you can see. Its a
> > > puzzle.
> >
> > Wish I had some sage advice to give you Hoyt, but I haven't been
> > using KMail for over a year now. In fact, I don't even bother with
> > the KDE-PIM packages at all.
> >
> > My biggest hassle was finding an email client that cold be deployed
> > in a mixed platform environment and also one that made easy work of
> > importing and exporting emails to/from other email clients.
> >
> > So I switched to Mozilla-Thunderbird about 5 or 6 months ago and
> > never looked back. Now, even on dual-boot systems, I have full access
> > to the same emails and accounts regardless of which OS I'm currently
> > running. The address book is transportable as are the junk-mail
> > filters and junk history, and the best thing is that my spell-checker
> > not only works 110%, but I can also save or copy it to other systems
> > including any new words or terms that it has learned.
> >
> > All of that saves a lot of time and hassle for myself and my clients.
> > Since backing up the necessary files is a piece of cake, I also come
> > across as a genius to my clients, which helps quite a bit when
> > invoicing them!
> >
> > You might want to consider switching to Thunderbird. Their site also
> > has a quick and clean method of grabbing your emails from KMail and
> > moving them to Thunderbird.
> >
> > Clever guys!
> >
> > Lanman
>
> I took a look at mozilla mail but didnt like it I'll check out
> Thunderbird I must admit kmail is too unstable, on my system, to serve
> well.  I would prefer to address the instability but dont have a clue
> it may be somewhere else.

Something strange happened to me this morning as I was downloading mail into
Kmail. I deleted one of Lanman's mails and the Kmail desktop locked up solid,
my CPU usage went into the 100% and stayed there. But nothing was happening
in Kmail that I could see. So went into a terminal, and top showed that Kmail
was gobbling up 98% of my CPU muscle. Killed the pid and all is back to as it
should be.

Is Kmail going flaky or are Lanman's mail becoming sacred or precious?

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524