On Saturday 28 August 2004 07:14 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2004 05:11 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 August 2004 14:23, Greg Meyer wrote:
> > > I figure this one ought to keep the conversation going for a
> > > while.
> > >
> > > I have been going through a Linux from Scratch build just for
> > > the learning experience, and something has just dawned on me.
> > > If a Linux system needs to be built from a host system, how
> > > did the first linux system get built?
> > >
> > > In other words, how can I create something that needs itself
> > > to be created?
> > >
> > > --
> > > /g
> >
> > Easy.  On a UNIX system.
>
> But then how was the first UNIX system created?

According to Dennis Ritchie (and he should know), it began on a PDP7 using
assembly language. (See http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html). A
very interesting read, particularly for those who have ever labored in the
fields of R&D and had troubles generating interest and funding for the latest
Really Great Idea Guaranteed to Revolutionize Civilization.
-- cmg