On Sunday 29 August 2004 05:28 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Saturday 28 Aug 2004 9:20 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> > > On an i386 running minix as far as I remember. I'd have to
> > > dig for links to the history but for some reason that
> > > answer is stuck in my feable and fallible old brain.
> > >
> > > C.
> >
> >      That's my recollection too Charlie.  IIRC, Linus as much
> > as said so, and asked the minix author if it was Ok for him
> > to modify and distribute as OSS.  Fortunately the answer was
> > yes.
>
> Careful, that's SCO territory. There is no Minix code in Linux
> and never was, so Linux needed no such permission, any more
> than you needed Linus' permission to write your email.

Andy Tanenbaum, 20 May 2004
   [speaking of Ken Brown]

    "I told him that MINIX had clearly had a huge influence on
Linux in many ways, from the layout of the file system to the
names in the source tree, but I didn't think Linus had used any
of my code."

    "Linus also used MINIX as his development platform initially,
but there was nothing wrong with that. He asked if I objected to
that and I said no, I didn't, people were free to use it as they
wished for noncommercial purposes."

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/brown/
     Link is mainly about SCO and Ken Brown.  But you're right to
admonish me Richard for my sloppy memory and wording ;)

   Use of MINIX (ie, 'influence', 'layout') as Linus' '[initial]
development platform' doesn't equal my term of "modify and
distribute as OSS".   Mea culpa
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American