On Sunday 29 August 2004 12:12 am, Stephen KÃhn wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 10:21, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > According to Dennis Ritchie (and he should know), it began on a PDP7
> > using assembly language. (See
> > http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html). A very interesting
> > read, particularly for those who have ever labored in the fields of R&D
> > and had troubles generating interest and funding for the latest Really
> > Great Idea Guaranteed to Revolutionize Civilization.
> > -- cmg
>
> That was a mind boggling read. Awesome. So then 1969 was a good year
> after all, eh?

Stephen:
Well, for me it was. It was the last summer that I could go out in the sun and
not burn the top of my head.

(Getting closer to the topic) What I found interesting was Ritchie's reference
to programming in B, the predecessor language to C. The connection between C
and Unix goes back a long, long way.
-- cmg