On Tuesday 21 September 2004 18:22, Marc wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 05:53 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> >
> > snip

> > >   I just tried that and still get the same black screen when
> > > trying to boot into windoze. also tried inserting Mandrake disk
> > > 1, using the F1 option, typing rescue and using the restore MBR
> > > option. Still no joy. The good news is that mandrake still works
> > > well.
> > >     Marc
> >
> > Windows XP didn't reinstall. Did the system reformat while
> > reinstalling XP this should be done because you have a defective
> > file in the windows part.
>
> Yep I did the windows format ruteine. Not the quick format but the
> full format. I have had this problem several times before on this
> machine and the only way that I have been able to get winsux back up
> and running is to do a full low level format using the zero fill tool
> from seagate and then doing the winsux reinstall. I have done dual
> boot installations with XP and ML before and NEVER had this kind of
> problem!!!  Maybe I should mention that this is a brand new XP cd
> that I am using. It is supposed to have service pack 1 allready
> installed on it. This is starting to make me wonder if the folks at
> microsux have not found a way to take something bad and make it
> worse.
>
> > The update dosen't need rescue mode but is probabley dosen't
> > hurt to use it.  I would just take defaults untill I had the option
> > to select update/install and then select update.
>
> Yep I tried that. After that did not work I tried the rescue mode.
>
> By the end of the night the XP disk may become a target for rifle
> practice at 200 yards.
>
> Thanks
> Marc
That would be more fun.  The only suggestion I would have is to do a low
level format and partition with the mdk CD1 using expert mode and
define all partitions making Wind$usks the  1st partition.  Then
install windows XP and make sure it works.  Then install mdk and if
windows quits working have fun at the range.
--
Regards;
Hoyt