On Tuesday 21 September 2004 08:07 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 18:22, Marc wrote:
> > >
> > > snip

> > > Windows XP didn't reinstall. Did the system reformat while
> > > reinstalling XP this should be done because you have a defective
> > > file in the windows part.
> >
> > Yep I did the windows format ruteine. Not the quick format but the
> > full format. I have had this problem several times before on this
> > machine and the only way that I have been able to get winsux back up
> > and running is to do a full low level format using the zero fill tool
> > from seagate and then doing the winsux reinstall. I have done dual
> > boot installations with XP and ML before and NEVER had this kind of
> > problem!!!  Maybe I should mention that this is a brand new XP cd
> > that I am using. It is supposed to have service pack 1 allready
> > installed on it. This is starting to make me wonder if the folks at
> > microsux have not found a way to take something bad and make it
> > worse.
> >
> > > The update dosen't need rescue mode but is probabley dosen't
> > > hurt to use it.  I would just take defaults untill I had the option
> > > to select update/install and then select update.
> >
> > Yep I tried that. After that did not work I tried the rescue mode.
> >
> > By the end of the night the XP disk may become a target for rifle
> > practice at 200 yards.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Marc
>
> That would be more fun.  The only suggestion I would have is to do a low
> level format and partition with the mdk CD1 using expert mode and
> define all partitions making Wind$usks the  1st partition.  Then
> install windows XP and make sure it works.  Then install mdk and if
> windows quits working have fun at the range.

   Been there, done that, yesterday. Here is the latest game plan. I am going
to use a floppy for the master boot record. If that works I may try it
putting the MBR on the root partison or perhaps creating a seperate partison
for the MBR. I cant remember what all the options for the MBR are at the end
of the ML install. Hell I never needed to . The defalt setting always worked
UNTIL NOW.
My best guess at this point is that maybe XP does not like sharing the first
sector of the Hard disk with anything else, juest a guess.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Marc