Elliot Somers wrote:
I am new to linux, I need to telnet into the server at school. Can someone
tell me if I need a seperate telnet client or what commands might one use to
telnet?

Tere should be a shell telnet menu item in your Networking>Remote access section

You can telnet directly from a console window...

telnet your.school.edu

Gtelnet is another command line telnet/ssh/rlogin client.

If you want something else with a split window for separating typed text and output from your school's telnet server, with double split-screen scrollback, take a look at Kmuddy. Version 0.7 pre4 was just released. You'll need to build it yourself if you want the latest version, but it's worth it.

The home page for Kmuddy is here:

http://www.kmuddy.org/download.php

It is actually a mud client, but with the mud stuff disabled in preferences, it makes a great split-screen telnet client as well as a decent talker client. I like the separation of incoming and outgoing text, though it's probably not worth installing unless you do a lot of telnet stuff. You didn't mention what you were intending to do.

Rick Kunath