Maryse,

    I recommend getting the download offered at the Firefox home page, www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. I've tried both, and I find the "official" version from the Mozilla Foundation much better for a few reasons.

    First, it's a smaller file and therefore a faster download. The package available from contrib via urpmi is nearly 30MB, while the file from mozilla.org is only about 8.6MB. Second, I could never get the contrib package to integrate successfully with GNOME. I used the preferred applications control panel (I'm guessing at the name -- presently on my work PC, which is Windows) to set the preferred web browser to the command line for the new Firefox install, followed by %s for the web address. It never did work, though. The urpmi package also seemed a little slower than the official download.

    Overall, I think the Linux download from mozilla.org offers the best solution for you. You don't need to be root to install it since it can be installed into your home folder, and setup is taken care of by a user-friendly installation wizard.

Good luck,
Adam

M.Schild wrote:
Although,
urpmi generally isn't much use for someone on modest download speed
capability like Maryse.

so what do you suggest?
Maryse