On Wednesday 20 Oct 2004 22:12, Keith Powell wrote:
> I am about to change to broadband and the hardware has now arrived.
> Clarification of a couple of points would be greatly appreciated,
> please.
>
> The Ethernet card has a CD which includes a "wizard" for setting up both
> it and the BIOS automatically. But it's for Windows :(

They always are.  But then you hardly ever need such a thing for Mandrake.
Most NICs are autodetected, and you just need the configuration (Mdk will
take care of the drivers) for which there's a wizard in MCC.

> I have 98SE, which I very occasionally run. Would I be better setting
> the card up using the wizard and Windows, and then changing to the
> Mandrake hard drive after it has been set up? I have read on this list,
> that if one just installs the card, Mandrake will find it. But then the
> BIOS won't be set up will it? There is a Linux driver on the CD, which
> I would install when in Mandrake.

There's nothing to set up in the bios for a PCI card.  Frankly it doesn't
matter which way round you do it.  Once you have worked out the settings for
Mandrake the same ones go in the windows setup, and vice versa.

> It's the same with the router - an easy automatic set-up using Windows,
> but little information on setting it up manually.

It may be as well to use the win98 to set this up.  If it's anything like our
SMC you have to run through their setup entering parameters that should be
set out in the manual (a good one with our router).  Once it has saved those
settings all further admin is done via a web browser, so it doesn't matter a
hoot which OS you are using.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302