On Friday 22 October 2004 17:14, mjt42 wrote:
> > > Here is where it all gets strange. Everything is still fast when using
> > > windoze.
>
> I use a dial-up connection.  I experience the same slow performance with
> Mandrake vs Windows.  Downloads speeds with Windows ranges from 50 to 200%
> faster vs Mandrake.
>
> Michael

Are you by any chance using a Winmodem? And is that modem using the HSF or HCF
driver from www.linuxant.com (included in Mandrake Powerpack or from
MandrakeClub)?

The linuxant driver is speed limited to 14.4 kbps until you pay a fee of
$14.95 to linuxant to unlock it.

It is actually cheaper to buy a real hardware exterial serial modem from ebay.
A serial hardware modem needs no driver.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org