On Wednesday 27 October 2004 02:00 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 Oct 2004 19:16, Ron Hunter-Duvar wrote:
> > Yes, and upgrade _should_ give you exactly the same end
> > result as a clean install. There should be no difference
> > other than the upgrade being faster (due to not having to
> > reinstall packages that are already up to date).
> >
> > But history has shown repeatedly, at least for Mandrake, that
> > this is _not_ true. Perhaps Stephen Kuhn, Hoyt Bailey, or
> > others will pitch in here with their personal experiences
> > (based upon which I have never even attempted a version
> > upgrade, always a clean install).
> >
> > I also suspect the first response back from any bug report
> > will be "Have you tried a clean install of 10.1 Official?"
>
> <sigh> You're probably right, but after 2 installs of it I just
> can't bring myself to start yet again - at least not just at
> this moment.
>
> Anne

     IIRC the only anomaly you reported Anne was cpufreq errors in
boot logs.  I meant to respond, sorry.  I had the same. Cpufreq
is used for laptops to control power usage and heat thru
manipulating processor speed.  On a desktop, just 'urpme cpufreq'

    As to the "Digital camera kills MDK 10.1" deal, I don't have a
USB camera (mine's serial), but I suspect the problem might be
solved by tryin a different kernel. I believe Stew said much the
same.

    I know reverting to 2.6.8.1-10 from -12mdk solved boot up
problems checking (Reiser) FS's after I added an SATA drive into
a mix of IDE drives a few weeks ago. With 2.6.8.1-12 the system
went crazy, but all is well with -10mdk.  I've got a hunch the
'camera' problem is similar.  Just a suspicion tho
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American