On Monday 01 November 2004 10:40 pm, Tom & Karen Pino wrote:

>>> snip

> Ok, so I use windoze (although I can't see why one would us IE).  Why do
> you want to appear to use IE at all and 5 in particular?
> Tom

Tom:
The usual reason is that there are many websites which use the browser id
string to determine if you are using IE or not; if you aren't, you are denied
access. There are also others which restrict access to either IE or Netscape.
Now, if you are 100 per cent linux, you are left with three choices: Lie to
them, go somewhere else, or install Windows. Well, it turns out that the
first choice is often quite effective because many other browsers can access
many of those sites with no problems at all. Now -- who's the bigger liar
here? Me, or the MS guy who convinced the website admin that he would have
all sorts of problems if he allowed non-MS browsers to access his website?
Banks, in particular, are among the worst offenders in this regard (but there
are lots of other sites guilty of the same stupidity). Not to be all
doom-and-gloom, I saw a report on the web within the past few days that there
is a growing trend in the Windows community to move away from the crap MS
browsers to Firefox and Mozilla.  Perhaps that will force some of those
dullhead webmins to rethink their stance.

-- cmg