On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 01:00, David Feldman wrote:
> I'm evaluating various Linux distros in order to recommend one to
> novice users, particularly Windows switchers. Mandrake has been
> recommended to me, especially since it can resize NTFS partitions.
>
> I downloaded 10.1 Community and tried to install but have been unable
> to do so. First I got a text-based installer instead of graphical, and
> the best I was able to achieve was a system that booted to a text login
> prompt instead of GNOME or KDE. Then I tried the low-res graphical
> install, but the best I was able to achieve there was that it would
> hang at the post-install configuration. Any thoughts?
>
> Also, hoping for some clarification:
> - How does 10.1 Community differ from 10.1 Official?
> - If 10.1 Official might work better for my purposes, is there any way
> to download it for eval purposes?
> - How does 10.1 Official differ from 10.1 Discovery?
> - How does 10.1 PPC relate to the various Intel versions?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Always research your hardware prior to installing any version of
GNU/linux; proprietary (Windows Only) motherboards cause most of the
major issues.

If you have hardware that is acceptable by GNU/linux standards, the
experience is quite a bit more enriching.

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?
Linux: Are you coming or what?

The angry man always thinks he can do more than he can. -- Albertano of
Brescia