On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:51:39 -0500
Jack disseminated the following:

> >Just from what I've seen on this list, Mandrake is implementing a new X
> >window system, a new device management system (devfs to udev), keeping up
> >(trying) with all the latest gadgets, all the while operating with a lot less
> >to back them up financially than someone like Novell/Suse (oh, what Mandrake
> >could do with 537 million dollars...), and a brand spankin' new kernel.
> >Perhaps Mandrake could be accused of releasing too quickly (no jokes please),
> >but that's their niche, I suppose, and the vast majority of people are quite
> >happy with Mandrake who use it, I can assure you.
> >

> Well, I enjoy playing with it... but I do my serious work on WinXP.
> (And I tried making Mandrake work for me completely.  For 2 weeks, I had
> my boot manager defaulting to Mandrake.  I just found myself forced to
> boot back into XP too often for comfort.)

Yer not tryin' hard enough ;-)

> >Your Silver Club membership should be better acknowledged, ie. with support,
> >etc. Please take that up with Mandrakesoft.
> >

> I *have*, with the same result - no response...

That's regrettable, not professional surely.

> >Oh, and Bittorrent is *not* a security risk. In fact, I would imagine,
> >downloading via FTP is probably more 'insecure' than Bittorrent.
> >

> Then it's different from most peer to peer.  Running ad-aware or other
> such often picks up a few hits after I've used peer to peer in the
> past.  So what is it about BT that makes it invulnerable to the idiots
> who want nothing more than access to your computer?

LOL! Okay, lesson number one in *open source*. If Bittorrent, or its MDK
packagers, were to try to sneak in some 'spyware', they would be defamed,
pissed on, their houses burned to the ground and their DNA permanently erased
from the gene pool. It is only closed source, proprietary code like that Kazaa
crap (or Windows...I assume you have no problem with the multitude of 'phone
home' mechanisms built into XP, or the 200 known but unpatched vulnerabilities
in IE) that allows greedy fscks to install shite on your box without your say
so. You've no need for AdAware or Norton on Linux, let me assure you.

> >Finally, airing this out on Newbie is going to get you *nowhere*. If you feel
> >there are bugs or other issues to be resolved, report them to the appropriate
> >channels. It's been awhile for me, but I'm sure someone can direct you as to
> >what those channels are. Every once in awhile we get a post like yours, and
> >while it's understandable that you are frustrated, this is not the place to
> >air
> >criticisms, it is a forum for help, ie. with specific problems.
> >

> *Praise*, as well as criticisms, Joe... and I did indirectly specify
> problems to which I've already received some answers.  So it *has*
> gotten me somewhere.  (I personally don't get "attached" to software, so
> I don't get upset when someone critiques a software package.  Besides, I
> do believe that my comments were "newbie-type" comments!!!)    ;-)

Ya, we got the praise. It's just that every time there's a new release, there's
a post with subject line that contains the line 'not ready for prime time'. It's
annoying in a general sort of way.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
19:45:54 up 99 days, 20:37, 6 users, load average: 0.14, 0.05, 0.01