> Am I correct in understanding, then, that Linuxes in general don't like
> internal modems? I have not done any modem testing at all.
>
> On Nov 15, 2004, at 7:34, M.Schild wrote:

For the most part, internal modems tend to be "win modems" that use
software to do the work of hardware.  Because they require specific
software to make them work, they do tend to be a problem under Linux.  For
some of them, there is software available to make them work.  As these
modules are not included normaly included, you have download and install
them yourself.  These drivers are usualy generic drivers for a specific
chip set, rather then a specific modem, they may not support all the
features of the modem.  Most (all?) of these drivers are also
closed-source, so you don't realy know what you are getting.  But if yo
uhave one of the supported chip sets, they do work fairly well.  Be aware
that this type of modem does not do well under high CPU load.  This is a
problem under both Windows and Linux.

On the other hand, if you have a "hardware" modem, it works well
regardless of weather it is internel or externel.  One way to tell if you
have a hardware morem is that they normaly do NOT specify a minimum CPU
required to run them, and do not need a driver for basic functions.  They
still require software to use features like speaker phone, or voice
recording/playback under Windows, but they will work as a modem with the
generic modem drivers.

One BIG problem with "win" modems - if you do not have the driver for
them, you can not use them to download the driver...

Mikkel