> E138: Can't write viminfo file $HOME/.viminfo!
I wouldn't concern yourself with this one. You are in single user mode, and
$HOME is probably not set.

> Can you make up something of all of this? By the way, I added the line you
> suggest at the beginning and at the end and of the [general] section and it
> makes no difference.
one easy thing to do is to run "urpme kdebase-kdm" to uninstall it. Then you
should boot into (on reboot) mdkkdm, and that will work normally.

Then you can run "urpmi kdebase-kdm" and make the change to kdmrc from a
console prompt.

When you exited vi, did you do so with a "wq" to write and quit?

Rob