On Thursday 02 December 2004 13:21, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> Here is "Module" and "Device" from XF86Config. I tried to remove th ##
> signs standing in the
> "## Load "glx" # 3D layer" line but every time I reboot, it adds a # to
> the line. K3b has a mighty fancy splashscreen at startup. I would guess
> that this makes some problems.
>
> My video hardware is the card called Boardname in "Device",
> but on the card itself it says "ASUS V7700".
>
> I hope these small facts helps you to find out what is wrong.     In
> advance, thank you.
>
> I'm sorry for my misconduct. I promise I will never send to newbie and
> expert at the same time again.
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier "device1"
>     VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
>     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
>     Driver "nv"
>     Option "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>     Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
>     Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
>     Load "extmod"
>     Load "type1"
>     Load "freetype"
>    ## Load "glx" # 3D layer
> EndSection
>
> Regards Vegard!

OK  Your card uses the Nvidia chipset and Mandrake has configured the open
source 'nv' video driver, but has not enabled the glx extension. Removing the
comment # from the Load "glx" line ought to enable that to load, I am not
sure why it is being put back in again.

In any case the 'nv' driver is not very good at handling 3D  Tuxracer would
not be fast enough to be usable. You need the proprietary 'nvidia' driver
which Mandrake cannot ship because it is not OpenSource.

I have a page on installing the nvidia driver here
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/nvidia.html
At the moment there is a bug in the Nvidia driver which requires you to modify
it before it works with Mandrake 10.1  I think this bug is still present. I
am sure someone will correct me if it is no longer around.

Good luck

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net