On Thursday 02 December 2004 09:49 am, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 02 December 2004 10:29 am, Vegard Lundby Rekaa
wrote:
> > I'm running mdk 10.0. Will I encounter the same problem I
> > could experience with 10.1?
>
> Yes, in order to get GLX running with a video card that has an
> nvidia chipset, you have to run the binary nvidia drivers
> available from either the Mandrake commercial packs, Club or
> directly from nvidia.  You are using the free GPL driver called
> nv, that does not support 3D acceleration.

    This is the last time I'll try to correct this misinformation.
The OSS 'nv' driver does indeed support GLX. What it does not do
is DRI (direct rendering).  This has been the case for a few
years now.  Mandrake 9.1 IIRC.

 tom $ less /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia Corp."
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
    Driver "nv"
      ^^^^^^^^^^
 tom $ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_MESA_allocate_memory,
    GLX_MESA_swap_control, GLX_MESA_swap_frame_usage,
GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_OML_sync_control, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
GLX_SGI_swap_control,
    GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group
GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_OML_swap_method,
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample,
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture,
    GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_shadow,
    GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat,
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_abgr,
GL_EXT_bgra,
    GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint,
    GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
GL_EXT_fog_coord,
    GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_pixels,
GL_EXT_point_parameters,
    GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal,
GL_EXT_secondary_color,
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
    GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap,
GL_EXT_subtexture,
    GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,
GL_EXT_texture_object,
    GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
GL_APPLE_packed_pixels,
    GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once,
    GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat,
    GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_MESA_pack_invert,
GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture,
    GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_point_sprite,
GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
    GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,
    GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp,
    GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_SGIX_shadow,
    GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
<<snip>>

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American