On Saturday 11 December 2004 06:31 am, Stephen KÃhn wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 21:12, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > The OpenOffice Writer is quite compatible with Microsoft Word,
> > but not at 100%: when you save a file with Writer, and then open it with
> > Word,
> > some information turns out to be lost or modified.
> > Isn't there in the Linux world
> > any application that be *completely* Microsoft Word compatible?
> >
> > Rodolfo
>
> Let's change the perspective a tad.
>
> Microsoft Word is not compatible with anything else because they refuse
> to stick to a standard - and it even changes in between versions of MS
> Word.

Hear, hear! I went through several of those conversions back in my days as a
wage slave. It was made worse because the corporate practice was to unleash
each new version on those of us out in the boondocks over a period of months.

> Originally, MS Word tried to work on the standard of being backwards
> compatible with WordPerfect and all the rest of the word processing
> programs - but not.
>
> Save your MS Word documents as HTML and ditto with OO documents. You'll
> be happier in the long run (and you can view the documents in a browser
> as well).
>
> MS Word is NOT the standard in document processing even though they want
> you to think so.

Maybe we should start filling up the Windows lists and forums with complaints
that MS Word keeps screwing up our OO documents.

-- cmg