On Thursday 16 December 2004 12:13 pm, Russ Kepler wrote:
| On Thursday 16 December 2004 12:03 pm, Amy wrote:
| > Granted a lot of court cases turn into a three ring circus here in the
| > states, but the McDonalds coffee case isn't nearly so much of one as
| > the media has made it out to be.
|
| Yeah, it was.  It also happened to be at a McDonalds about 1 city block
| away so I'm quite aware of the facts in the case.
|
| > The reason the lady won the case? It wasn't just normally hot coffee,
| > she got ~third degree burns~ from the frellin' stuff. McDonalds used
| > to serve their coffee extremely hot, so much so that it was way above
| > whatever temperature they were legally allowed to. No one ever said
| > anything about it before then, because most people don't touch their
| > coffee right away, so they'd let it cool down a little bit, and get to
| > it later, and it'd be just about perfect.
|
| Sorry, but I have to call you on this one.  Coffee makers make coffee by
| boiling water and putting the boiling water through the coffee grounds.
| The boiling point of water is pretty much fixed by the altitude (around
| here it boils at 202 degF) so the temperature of the coffee is going to be
| the same no matter what percolater it comes out of.

This is actually not the way it is.  Measure the temperature of your coffee
makers coffee sometime--mine is 160-165 degrees.  That is set by a thermostat
inside the maker--and yes, I used to be a repairman for commercial cooking
equipment, including coffee makers--the type that restaraunts use.  The therm
is not normally set at 180 degrees, much less at boiling.

The way I remember the case (from a Slashdot discussion, I think), is that
local McDonald's managers had complained to upper management, in writing,
that the coffee was being brewed so hot that it was softening the take-out
cups.  Upper management decreed (in writing, to their later sorrow) that the
machines would continue to be set at 180 degrees because more cups could be
brewed from a pound of ground with the hotter water.  This correspondence was
submitted as evidence.

| I think that McDonalds was being 'burned' by the bad publicity and didn't
| much defend the case, nor went with an appeal.  The original judgement was
| reduced considerably in any event, but the final terms are private so we'll
| likely never know what they were.

No, they got burned with their own correspondence.  The amount of the punitive
damages award was a calculation of how much money they made from brewing the
coffee at a higher temperature.