On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, John Aldrich wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> > While this is fine if you have a box to destroy, I mean put windows on.
> > I'm sure they have a tech that can verify the ethernet connection with a
> > laptop. Setting up the network card is truly trivial, no matter what OS
> > good ones don't even require a reboot. Do you already have a home network,
> > or ethernet card?
> >
> Yes to both. :-) I have a Windows box and a Linux box hooked to my
> ISDN router.

I've got to start paying more attention :) i didn't realise this was your
question

> The problem is, I think, that they "key" the ADSL to the
> MAC address of your ethernet card and some "Baby Bell" companies won't
> install ADSL if they don't have a Windows box to use. :-) You can
> always set up "dual-boot" and then wipe the Windows partition
> afterwards. ;-)

The dsl modems here in Denver aren't that much different than the cable
modems, with the exception the dsl modems you can get one with upto 4 eth
ports. Hardcodeing the mac address of the nic, I really doubt is going on,
and if they do really do it they need smacked cause they're just causeing
more work for them selves. It may be the case the've skimp'd on them, and
got cheap ones without arp support

> Locally (BellSouth) is one of those that has required
> a Windows box to set up your ADSL, although that may be changing.
> Another friend of mine has a Linux box and they're coming to install
> the ADSL line today for him. I think one problem in the past has been
> that a LOT of "kiddies" set up Linux boxes on ADSL and Cablemodems
> and leave 'em *wide* open for hacking and spamming. This causes
> problems down the road for the cable/phone co. So, as a result of
> this "problem" they have developed "windows-only" policies.
> What the INSTALLER thinks may be a different matter. ;-)
>       John

Ok true but theres easier ways, i Know lots of isp's that block port 25,
for those reasons, to all their customers ip's

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon