Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] frank]# fdisk /dev/cdrom
You will not be able to write the partition table.
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/cdrom: 675 MB, 675618816 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

Command (m for help): q

This at least told me that the file system is not recognised by _/*my installation*/_ so using it without the camera is a no go.

At this point I would forget about trying to mount it and look for a suitable program: unless an expert out there can advise howto mount what it is you do find out about your cd.

I just tried this on a "normal" CD, to verify what I suspected. There is not a partition table on a CD. The difference I see is that I do get a valid size returned from a normal CD.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mikkel]$ /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/cdrom Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Disk /dev/cdrom: 181 MB, 181542912 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

Disk /dev/cdrom doesn't contain a valid partition table

From trying a couple of CDs, it looks like the number of cylinders is related to the size of the data on the CD. But it is strange that your 210 MB mini-CD reports a size of 675 MB.

Mikkel

OK. The newbie in me will really come to the front now.

My above example ( and yours ) was to demostrate that you can get information that hopefully is of use to proceed .

As to CD's tested above, yes, they will show as you suggested.

BUT my understanding is that the storage device in your camera ought to be readable as the camera must continually write to it.

So if fdisk dosen't help I would forget about trying to read only the disc from the camera and concentrate on reading the camera whole.

Have you tried kino yet? I have a camera ( cheapy pocket type ) that I use as a webcam, it has inbuild memory chip so I have no chance of simply reading it's storage component. I'm not sure what I had to do but initially my system didn't see it at all. I'm running 10 Official at present and it is working fine because I configured things after doing a search on the deviceID & vender ID from my info gleaned from lsusb.

<SNIP>
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0553:0202 STMicroelectronics Imaging Division (VLSI Vision) Aiptek PenCam 1
<SNIP>

I have yet to find out how I can download actual pictures from it yet - but as I have a Canon camera with compact flash storage, I haven't gone there quite yet.

I don't believe I have been of much help but I always look to finding a way of getting things functional, sometimes using stuff not designed to be used the way I end up using them. In your case does copying things from the cd onto your hdd work? [ I'm talking about 'blind' copying from device to hdd ( # dd ?? )]. Only a work-around I know, but maybe your system can then convert things for you to play with, though I have found conversion usually involves picking the right program to use by trial and error. ( eg. Right now I am investigating OOo to read photo's for the above mentioned Aiptek PenCam as it appeared on one of the context menus as a choice to 'open with'.)

I'll watch this thread with renewed interest and hopefully will be of some help when sometime I have done clicks with your own findings.

Please keep posting your triumpts and failures - we can only learn from them.

As to my disk size, try this one instead. Still the same result as above though. [ issued: # fdisk -p /dev/cdrom1 ]

Disk /dev/cdrom1: 6 MB, 6156288 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes

--
Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213