On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 08:38, Amy wrote:
> I'M A GMAIL USER, PLEASE BE SURE YOUR REPLY GOES TO THE LIST. THANKS.
>
> At the recommendation of a friend, I recently installed Enlightenment
> since I was curious about using something other than KDE, which is
> what I've been using since I did my first install of Mandrake back in
> the spring.
>
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has used it and/or does use
> it... and if so, could I get some recommendations on where to read up
> on it to get a little more comfortable with it? I've poked my nose in
> on their website, but I haven't actually jumped into their support
> documents yet, I'm just curious if there are any other good resources
> for someone trying to get used to Enlightenment.
>
> Right now I'm just looking for information on Enlightenment, so if you
> were going to reply with suggestions on something else I should try
> instead, please hold off. If I decide I don't like Enlightenment, I'll
> probably come back to the list and ask for suggestions on what else to
> try next while falling back on KDE again.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Amy

First, hit the Enlightenment home page: http://www.enlightenment.org

Secondly, there are heaps of themes for E that can make the experience
even cooler: http://themes.freshmeat.net

And since you're well on your way to experience OTHER window manglers,
you can shoot for XFce4 which is nice and light and has keybindings that
are useful (like ALT-F4 to close a window, ya?), IceWM, Waimea,
Blackbox, Openbox, Fluxbox, Sawfish, AmiWM, OLVWM, PekWM - just to name
a few.

As a GNU/linux user, you are not bound to stick with just one or even
two different window manglers - you can have heaps and heaps of them -
all to pick and choose from at your leisure. You will eventually find
one that you are the most comfortable with and one that will suit your
system for speed and responsiveness.

Enlightenment is very configurable and hackable - just a matter of
getting down and dirty with it and learning all the configuration files
and hacks. It's graphically pleasing, and has some nice "Epplets" -
applets that run specifically on the E desktop. Keybindings are a bit of
a PITA however, but can (sometimes) be hacked to be what you want them
to be.

HTH and all the best.

--
stephen kuhn