On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:39:24 +0000, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Wish it were that simple.  I'm not running a mail server with
> windows clients.  This is a dual booting stand alone machine and
> I never use windows for downloading mail. (In fact I use it as
> little as possible.)

I confess to some confusion about your problem. Is there some
reason you are forced to execute the worm-infested e-mail while
running Windows? Why not just treat it like junk mail and delete
it? Isn't it junk mail?

Are you receiving e-mail that you must open and deal with that also
contains viruses? And, you must open it in Windows? Is that the
problem? Like a Word attachment you're expecting from a colleague
and it turns out to have a virus perhaps. Even then, you can
safely open it in OO. OO can't execute VBS macros (the carrier of
viruses in MSOffice files).

If you suspect an e-mail of having a virus and you also feel
compelled for some reason to open it before tossing it out, you can
do so safely using a text editor. And, that's true for when Windows
is running as well. I run several mailing lists and sometimes have
to check mail bounced to me by the mailing list software because it
trips a filter. When I still used Windows, I would download the
mail in Eudora, but view it in WordStar in nondocument mode.
Nothing happens when viewing a message in a text editor (notepad
works just fine for this purpose, too), but you can see all kinds
of stuff (like which IP address it really came from).

As others have pointed out, it can only be a problem if Windows is
actually running (which cannot be the case on a dual-boot system if
Linux is the system running). The same procedures used to handle
garbage mail are more than adequate for handling mail with viruses
on a Linux system.

Sign up for the security advisories if you're concerned about Linux
exploits. Mandrake has a great mailing list for security
advisories. There are a number of Linux sites which list advisories
for all Open Source software. AV software tends not to include
anything that's not actually in the wild. Security advisories come
out as soon as a vulnerability is known. For a Linux system, they
are much more useful and timely than AV software.

Just to underscore what others have mentioned -- antivirus software
(including Linux antivirus software) is looking for Windows
viruses. It is really necessary only for Linux mail servers
distributing mail to people who may open their mail in Windows.

Linux antivirus software also tends to be more expensive than
Windows AV software and a bigger headache to install, because it's
not really meant for a stand alone system. Have you considered
installing one of the many excellent free Windows AV products on
your Windows installation, and just boot into Windows once a week
to update the definitions? Try Googling for one.

deedee

Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"
http://www.wordstar2.com
Also, see WordStar Users Group Community
http://www.wordstar2.com/WordStar_Users/index.php