On Monday 03 January 2005 20:13, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Not wanting to hijack the web-page thread, but Kaj's comment
> reminded me of a minor annoyance.  I don't need special
> characters all that often, but when I do I have to use
> kcharselect (not knocking it - it's a useful tool).  I used to be
> able to memorise a few select ASCII codes and enter them by
> alt+numberpad code.  That's much quicker if you are preparing a
> longish document.  I find it hard to believe that there isn't a
> similar facility in Linux, but I haven't found it yet.  Does it
> exist?
>
> Anne

Anne, as a native English-speaker, you don't have to remember that
many ASCII escape-sequences. But a few, nevertheless, come in handy
like  ½ (½), @ (@), £ (£) and a few more.

As a "foreigner" it is much harder, what with æ,ø and å, all the
French accents and so on.

So, when I write some html, I just type what I want in my own
charset and when done, I use the editors "search & replace".
Voilá.  -  Can be viewed correctly in any browser on the planet.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *