----- Original Message -----
From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help with /etc/hosts, hosts.config & resolv.config
files
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:42:45 -0600

> On Saturday 08 January 2005 06:29 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
>
> > Thank you Derek for the reply. I am really new at this network stuff. :-)
> > I have been using dial-up for all my years of computing, and I just started
> > using braodband now that it has finally come here to the boonies.
> >
> > I edited some of the mentioned files, and my hostname is once again
> > "localhost".
> > I changed my "eth0: Broadcom Corp BCM4401 100Base-T" connection
> > to use DHCP Protocol, but now when I boot my comp, booting hangs
> > at "bringing up eth0" for a long while, and finally fails trying to
> > determine IP configuration. :-(
> > The part that puzzles me is that ppp0 comes up OK, and my connection
> > is working great.
> > What gives here anyway? Doesn't ppp0 use my Broadcom nic???
> >
> > I am dazed and confused. [8>/
> >

> I seem to remember a problem I had like that when I first got DSL.  If I
> remember I had to remove the ppp0 setup otherwise DHCP wouldn't load.
>
> --
> Chris
Thanks forthe reply Chris. I don't understand though.....if I remove my
pppoe setup, how will I be able to use my adsl?

I am in a *purple haze*.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Laptop, Powered by Mandrake 10.1~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~

From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.