On Saturday 08 January 2005 05:24 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|    Can a live cd of mandrake move be used to access the net?
|    I was exploring this evening and, actually using the manual for
| lin 8.2, I sent the command "cat/proc/pci" as root.  It was supposed
| to return an io port and irq number for my pci modem.  What it did
| do, was tell me there was no such file or directory.  Maybe I should
| have entered cat /proc,pci.  Cat being the command then space and
| /proc/pci  being the arguments.  I was try to get linux to recognize
| my pci modem so I could try to go online.  I have never tried
| anything like using a console so any suggestions as to what I should
| would need to start from scratch.

First--is your pci modem a hardware or a software modem?  If it is a soft
(Winmodem) you are out-of-luck.  Most Lucent chipped modems (and some
Conexant), have LinModem drivers, but you wouldn't be able to install them if
you are "running from disk".  Any hardware modem and any Serial modem would
be auto-setup and all you need to do is open and configure the kppp dialer.
Even Lucents are a PITA on an installed system, because they must be
recompiled every time you upgrade your kernel.  I'm going through that with a
Debian install right now.  My modem worked fine until I upgraded my kernel,
and my recompile of the driver seems to install, but crashes my system
whenever the modem is brought up.  AARGH!  Don't do as I do, spend $20 on
e-bay and get a Serial modem.