After a recent routine update (urpmi.update -a;urpmi
--auto-select), I get this when calling K3B (from
anywhere):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] brett]# k3b
k3b: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libartskde.so.1:
undefined symbol:
_ZTv0_n28_N4Arts16SynthModule_stub11autoSuspendEv
[EMAIL PROTECTED] brett]#

Before the (blind) upgrade, K3B had been running great
for months.

When I trace back all the packages that ultimately
provide libartskde.so I find that a)they are all so
embedded in the core of KDE that an upgrade would be a
hefty undertaking and that b)now neither URPMI nor
drakconf work for any kind of directly KDE-related
(only) upgrade anyway (they both hang immediately), so
it would be a lot of plain old rpming or making.  Can
anybody suggest a way to begin troubleshooting this?
/var/log/messages, urpmi,  (etc.) shows nothing
significant.

system info:
MDK 10.1 OE, 2.6.8.1-12mdk, P4 2.66GHz, 512MB
KDE 3.2.3

I tried:

  libk3b2-0.11.18-1.mdk10.1.thac
  k3b-0.11.18-1.mdk10.1.thac

and:

 k3b-0.11.16-3mdk
 libk3b2-0.11.16-3mdk

Other wierd things are happening too, like my konsole
schema is gone, kicker crashes, xtraceroute hangs,
etc.  kde + urpmi = big mess.  How can a "proficient"
beginner avoid these non-productive time-wasters while
staying updated?

Thanks for any tips,
brett

=====