On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:27, John Bowden wrote:
> Hi list
>       just a quick one. When updating from mandrake control centre
> should I close any progs that are running that are on the update
> list. Will it tell me if I need to reboot or restart x?

Not necessary to close running applications.  Never to reboot
either.  The way I understand it is as follows :

When an app starts, it gets loaded into memory and runs from there.
When the newer version of that same app downloads it gets written
to disk, overwriting the old version.  Then, next time this app is
requested, it'll be the new one.

On Linux a reboot is only needed if you install (never update) a new
kernel and want to run it right away.  But that's another,
completely different story.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *