On Wednesday 19 January 2005 07:33, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 Jan 2005 07:48, John Layt wrote:
> > AFAIK, the libdvdcss not ony decodes the css encryption, but it also
> > bypasses the region code.  For instance, my Xine setting is currently at
> > Region 1, but all my DVD's are region 4 and they happily play.  I think
> > the fact that it complains about region is a sign that libdvdcss is not
> > working right.
>
> Last time I tried xine would not play a Region 1 DVD.  I'm set to region 2

Well, for the record, that package would be libdvdcss2 available from PLF.
And it doesn't take any note of the region code of the device, thus, you
don't have to set the region in your DVD device at all to play DVDs.  I do
think that this should mean that you would be able to play a region 1 DVD in
a region 2 device, since by definition, libdvdcss2 doesn't check to see what
the region code is on the device at all.

For the record, I have several PAL DVD's which are code set for Region 2 and
which happily play in my DVD drive using libdvdcss2.  My DVD drive has no
region set at all, since I don't need to set it under Linux.

Also, there are several small apps available for Windows which basically
emulate region coding in DVD devices, allowing one to bypass region
restrictions.  Of course, the Linux version is free (as in speech and beer).

Anne, you might want to take a look at PLF and install version 1.2.8 -1plf  of
libdvdcss2.
--
Bryan Phinney