On Thursday 20 January 2005 12:07, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 11:01, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > At least you're not alone.  Some time ago there was a thread
> > about "the ghost in the machine".  It turned out the culprit
> > was supermount.  This devil have plagued us for years now.  In
> > 10.1 is worse than ever, if I may have a say.  To me it seems
> > that this ghost has a will of its own, randomly changing
> > /etc/fstab.  For example my fstab changes in unpredictable ways
> > whenever I insert a floppy, an USB device like a mp3 player, a
> > scanner or a camera. More often than not I have to edit fstab
> > by hand in order to get things right again, but the ghost
> > returns after a short while.
> >
> > I guess this is the penalty we have to pay for using an
> > otherwise fine distro.
>
> It's funny how supermount drives some people mad, yet I've never
> had a problem, with any version of Mdk that I've used.  I do
> admit, though, that I prefer automount for removable devices.

Anne, I envy you.  Could you please tell me how ? -- Eventually post
your fstab ?

On my system it looks like supermount, devfs, autofs, usbfs and udev
are in a never ending dogfight.  Depending on who's the top dog at
any given moment, my system reacts accordingly.   In a henhouse at
least you know who's in charge...

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *