[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 HAD a problem with the following sequence of commands. mkdir winmodem
 cd winmodem
> mcopy a:scandisk.gz.*******the file didn't exist****yes it did

You missed one step.
gunzip scanmodem.gz

> chmod +x scanmodem
> ./scanmodem Looking at the note above you
 can see the file couldn't be found. The solution, impossible as it
 would seem was that I deleted the director winDmodem I had
 accidentally created. I tried the mcopy again and got no error.
 AHHAA! Tried a dir command in winmodem, which previously produced
 nothing, and bingo the filev was now there. I wouldn't have believed
 it had someone told me that was the problem. Now there is another
 problem the chmod command fails to find attributes because it can't
 find any or the file. Anybody know what is wrong there? Could x not
 be installed/configured or something else.

Even simpler - scanmodem does not exist. You forgot to uncompress scanmodem.gz to scanmodem. So there is no file "scanmodem" to make executable.

Mikkel