[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Handy explanation and it makes sense. I found out my problem is still getting the file from either the floppy or the windows side of this beast. Maybe when I get it into linux, then I can gunzip it and proceed. I just can't make mcopy work. In my home directory I can look to windows to temp to the file. I can find it but not copy it to linux. I have been in computers since radio shack came out with it's first 4k system for the public. It's frustating that I can't even copy a file from one location to another.

Well, mcopy is for copying files from an unmounted DOS/Windows floppy, and not a general copy program. If you can see the file from Linux, then you can use the "cp" command to do it. (It is like the DOS copy command.) If the file is in /mnt/windows/temp/ then try this:

cp /mnt/windows/temp/scanmodem.gz scanmodem.gz

This will copy scanmodem to the current directory. Or, if you are a Norton Commander fan, you can try Midnight Commander. It is started with the command "mc". (Without the "s.)

You may find this a handy reference.
DOS                  Linux
dir                      ls
copy                  cp
attrib                 chmod
del                    rm
cd                     cd

Just remember, case does matter in Linux, but does not in DOS.

Let me know how it goes.

Mikkel

PS - I started playing with computers before Radio Shack started selling them.