Eric Huff wrote:

What is this a:scanmodem.gz stuff? I just tried it on mine and
as expected, linux doesn't do anything with a:

Mine would be /mnt/floppy/scanmodem.gz

When running properly I believe it is supposed to read and
print out what chip set you have in a winmodem. Very helpful in trying to
get linux to see the modem.

I meant the a: part. I haven't seen a: used under linux anywhere. I think you want to use /mnt/floppy or some such.

The a: part is because of the use of mcopy. It is part of the mtools package that allows access to MS-DOS drives and floppies. Exactly what a: referes to is definded in the config file, but the default is /dev/fd0. c: is usualy a file on the drive that is accessed like a hard drive. The thing about mtools is that when you are working with floppies, you normaly are working with an UNMOUNTED floppy. They were more usefull before things like aumounting of floppies, or when you didn't want to allow users to mount the floppy drive. But they are still handy for emulated DOS drives used with dosumu.

Mikkel