Andy Yankovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My computer is used only by me. Never by another person.
> I have a cable connection that is always on.

You'll get a lot of suggestions, but here is what i do:

> 1. Is the recommended procedure to turn computers off at least
> nightly or keep them on all the time?

I turn mine off to save power, but there is little or no need to do
it for stability.

> 2. Should I install some type of firewall for security reasons? I
> do not have any secret formula for Coca Cola or things like that
> on my system, but do have credit card and other financial  info,
> If yes, what do you recommend?

You will get a lot of answers here, but i just use a Linksys router
with a built in firewall.

Also, turn off any services you don't use.  MCC is the Mandrake
Control Center.  type mcc at the cli or find it in the menu system.
Then system-->services will show what is running.

> 3. Ditto for anti-virus? If yes, what do you recommend?

No real need.  There are entire threads on why in the archives and
on the web.  :)

> 4. Is the anti-span feature built into KMail sufficient or should
> I pick a second program. If yes, what do you recommend?

I would wait and see how well your present spam filter does.  If you
still get too much spam (or too many false positives) for your
liking, then you could try other ones.  I like popfile, myself.

http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

HTH,
eric

--