On Tuesday 08 February 2005 02:51 pm, David G Stevenson wrote:

| Your kernel and the kernel the proprietary closed source driver was
| compiled against are different. Maybe different enough to cause problems
| hooking the code to the newer kernel. In the first instance I would
| email Motorola with your OS details and kernel version and ask them
| nicely for a newer version.

Exactly my thoughts.  I've had this problem with the Lucent chip modems with
kernel 2.6.x.  The versions must match exactly (as well as the gcc version
that the kernel and driver are compiled against).  If you can afford an
external SERIAL modem get one, because every time the kernel changes the
Winmodem driver must be changed also.  It is truly a PITA.