On Saturday 12 February 2005 04:31 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Adolf wrote:

> >>Ok - now we are making progress. If you put "ide-floppy" in
> >>"/etc/modprobe.preload", then you should alway get /dev/hdd4 created on
> >>boot.  Now you should be able to create your desktop shortcut. You
> >>should also check to see if a mount point is created for it in /mnt when
> >>you put in a ZIP disk. If it is not automounted, then as a workaround,
> >>you could try doing this:
> >>
> >>mkdir /mnt/ZIP
> >>
> >>edit /etc/fs and add this line: (all one line, even thoug it is wrapped
> >>here!)
> >>
> >>none /mnt/ZIP supermount
> >>dev=/dev/hdd4,fs=ext2:vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
> >>
> >>This should automount any ZIP disk on /mnt/ZIP. It will work with both
> >>ext2 and fat formatted disks, as long as they use partition 4. It will
> >>also show up as an icon on the KDE desktop, but it will show always
> >>mounted. That is something I need to figure out how to change...
> >>
> >>Mikkel
> >
> > It now works!  After editing modprobe.preload with ide-floppy, I
> > rebooted. When I tried to copy a file to the zip, it failed.  I looked in
> > fstab and the system had placed the exact line you listed above.  There
> > is no hdd4 in dev, only hdd.  So in desperation I changed fstab to
> > /dev/hdd and rebooted with the disk in the drive.  During boot, it polled
> > the device (green light). It never did that before.  I then opened it and
> > successfully copied a file. Something still seems bogus.  I guess I can
> > make a Twiki entry, but I am not sure the solution is necessarily the
> > correct one.
> >
> > Thanks for all you help.
> > Mike
>
> This is strange. /dev/hdd should be the entire ZIP disk, including the
> partition table. /dev/hdd4 should be the partition with the data on it.
> Unless the ide-floppy driver is doing something different in 2.6.x, so
> that the ZIP data partition becomes /dev/hdd instead of /dev/hdd4.
>
> Did the disk you used have other files on it? Are you able to access
> files on other ZIP disks? If you boot without a disk in the drive, does
> it detect when you put in a disk? Does it detect when you change the ZIP
> disk?
>
> In any case, I would hold off on the Twiki entry for a while - it sounds
> like a bug report may be in order here. If the entry in /etc/fstab is
> being created for you, but is the wrong one, then that has to be fixed.
> One other small point - you do not have to reboot for changes in
> /etc/fstab to take affect. The file is read as needed. Hotplug adds
> entries "on the fly" when you plug in USB storage devices...
>
> Mikkel

 * I have one disk I formatted FAT32 on windows xp.
 * I booted 10.1 with disk in and wrote a text file to it. OK
 * I rebooted 10.1 with disk out and inserted after boot, the file was present
and readable
 * I rebooted xp, the file was there but cr/lf screwed up.
 * I rebooted 10.1 with disk in, file was there.
 * I manually ejected it and inserted a second disk containing IOMEGA written
files (a new factory formatted disk)
 * When I open the zip, the window still showed the file from disk 1, and I
could read it??
 * I su-ed to root, umount /mnt/zip and mount /mnt/zip with IOMEGA disk still
in drive. Now all files on disk were visible.

Mike