... sent this last night, but think to the wrong  place ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
 so far I have:

(1) made a 2.5 meg Linux Ext2 partition and a .5 meg Linux SWAP partition
with Partition Magic ...

(2) Using the Mandrake installation disks, got to "Congratulations installation
is complete!" ... installed about 400 meg of files, including KDE, GNOME
and associated graphics stuff ...

(3) have successfully logged on into what I call the "dos-like" mode,
been able to use

 ls /bin -al |less, |more
 linuxconf
 man man
 cd, su, exit
 Xconfigurator (struggle picking a comparable video card, finally found one)

(4) can reboot back and forth between Windows 2000, XP and Linux on same
machine with no problem, everything still works just fine ...

(5) have not been able to get out of the "dos" mode and into the
"windows" mode, namely KDE ... how do I do that ??????

(6) 700 mHz, 256meg ram, 20 gig hd, Nvidia Vanta video card, Intel ...

hk ball