From: Kaj Haulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Feb 15, 2005 2:53 PM
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] How get from "dos" mode into KDE  mode?

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 20:07, h k ball wrote:
> ... sent this last night, but think to the wrong  place
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ...
>------------------------------------------- so far I have:
>
> (1) made a 2.5 meg Linux Ext2 partition and a .5 meg Linux SWAP
> partition with Partition Magic ...
>
> (2) Using the Mandrake installation disks, got to
> "Congratulations installation is complete!" ... installed about
> 400 meg of files, including KDE, GNOME and associated graphics
> stuff ...
>
> (3) have successfully logged on into what I call the "dos-like"
> mode, been able to use
>
>  ls /bin -al |less, |more
>  linuxconf
>  man man
>  cd, su, exit
>  Xconfigurator (struggle picking a comparable video card, finally
> found one)
>
> (4) can reboot back and forth between Windows 2000, XP and Linux
> on same machine with no problem, everything still works just fine
>
> (5) have not been able to get out of the "dos" mode and into the
> "windows" mode, namely KDE ... how do I do that ??????
>
> (6) 700 mHz, 256meg ram, 20 gig hd, Nvidia Vanta video card,
> Intel ...
>
> hk ball

Congratulations and welcome.  You did fine.

"DOS" mode is what we call the "CLI", the shell, the konsole, the
terminal etc..

CLI=Command Line Interface.  From here you can do everything (well,
almost).  For example get to the GUI (Graphical User Interface),
like KDE, Gnome or whatever.  Just type :"startx" (without the
quotes).

If you prefer to boot directly into the GUI, just (as root) edit the
file /etc/inittab and change id:3:initdefault: to id:5:initdefault:
That's all.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *