From:   Kaj Haulrich [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:02 AM
To:     h k ball
Cc:     newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject:        Re: [newbie] How get from "dos" mode into KDE  mode?

> Kaj ...
>
> ... based on today's wanderings, have concluded
>
> (1) ... need to connect to the net in CLI mod (how???)
> (2) ... download the Nvidia Vanta video card (how ? ... put in
> what directory so Xconfigurator can find it )
> (3) ... rerun Xconfigurator
>
> (4) ... maybe then stuff will work, although ...
> (5)  ... XFdrake doesn't exist
> (6) ... nothing containing "auth" exists
>
> HK
>
> ... looked at your web page, photos ... lovely daughter  ...
> article on healthcare, suits, accountants, etc made me laugh,
> we're not far behind you in our deterioration ...

Thanks, h k.... Where do you live ?

I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do...

(1) Why connect from the CLI ? - If you absolutely must then (as
root) : "ifconfig eth0".  That is if you use ethernet as your
interface ?  -  Otherwise I'd recommend the GUI way for newbies,
just  : "mcc", then give root password.  Go to Network & Internet
and make your choices.

(2) I don't have Nvidia, but I think you can use it in fb mode
(frame buffer) without the Nvidia drivers until you get things
sorted out.

(3) I don't thing you need to run xconfigurator, only XFdrake.

(4,5,6) You'll need to run XFdrake as root.

Lastly, a dumb question : Do you have a x server running ?

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *

 << File: message.txt >>