On Wednesday 16 February 2005 05:21, BJ Tracy wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I just downloaded Firefox 1.0 and placed the tar.gz in my home
> directory, did the tar and installed it.  However during the
> install it was placed in my directory.
>
> Where should all the files go so my gui will know where it is?

It seems you didn't follow the easy way, namely to "urpmi
mozilla-firefox", but downloaded the tarball from the Mozilla.org
site.  In that case, it doesn't matter where the tarball is
extracted, but in order to install it system-wide (i.e. accessible
to all users) you'll have to become root.  During this setup you
will be prompted to choose a location for the executables.  A
clever choice might be /usr/lib or /usr/local.  After the install
completes, run it first time as root (I think that's automatic).

After that, you can add it to your menu with the menu editor.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *