On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 07:34, rikona wrote:

> Perhaps, but the number of PO'd people is relatively small, and M$
> really doesn't have to worry about them too much. They are extending
> their political (and media) influence a lot, and that may be more
> effective in keeping 'the linux enemy' at bay. In another era, the M$
> solution would be to send the PO'd people off to the gas chambers.
>
> I think we'll be hearing more bad stuff, especially when longhorn
> arrives. Bend over, and get ready for the long horn. :-))

There is a growing angst towards M$ - and I'm getting to see it "on the
streets". Many small biz owners and home owners (from 35 and above) are
getting sick of the constant cycle of upgrading.

I just finished building a brand new system (P4 3.0ghz + 1gb RAM) for a
psychologist customer; after all was said and done, the machine happily
at his home, he was surprised that XP didn't "fly" like he expected it
to. I explained to him the bloat, the bad construct - which he did
understand. He was rather happy with running his biofeedback
applications through Win98 which DID fly - but lo and behold, Win98
drivers do not exist for his laptop, office machine and home machine, so
it's effectively useless. The folks that build his applications have
forced him to upgrade as well.

After explaining further about the "future" - Longhorn - and it's hunger
for even MORE higher end hardware and the likes, I showed him my ever
present bootable liveCD of Knoppix and Ubuntu - which DID fly quite
well. Ah. Even on the laptop, it flew. He likes the idea of running
either the new Win4Lin or VMWare - as long as the hardware is
accessible. He also likes the fact that no longer would have have to
shell out heaps for WinXP and other associated applications. One time
one off.

He's not the only one. I have a heap of customers that are sick of their
machines being down or useless due to bugs/virus/trojans/spyware...the
only think keeping them down is their teenagers who are "hooked" on
things like MSN and the likes...(GAIM does still have a way to go).

I'm hoping that by the time Longborn hits the streets, I'll have a nice
comfy permanent job somewhere in a linux/unix environment.

--
stephen kuhn
mobile: 0410-728-389