> > Linux Etudes is also good but very basic
>
> For very beginners there's Linux For Non-Geeks by Rickford Grant. It's
> based off of Fedora, but much of the information can be gained from it.
> It's written in a very informal style. For a more in depth, but not too in
> depth, I liked Linux Administration: A beginner's Guide by Steven Graham
> and Steve Shah. It gives a few Red Hat information, though they confesses
> to love and use Mandrake, but what I love is that he also shows how to
> administer using the actual configuration files.

My personal favorites that have not been mentioned are

Linux+: In Depth
An excellent book on using linux as an administrator, with not much mention of
the graphical side.

Multitool Linux- Practical Uses for Open Source Software
A great book on how to use the tools in Linux to do what we want to do from
managing and dealing with graphic images, networking, sound, remote CD
burning, and more.... Its my most recent find, and I am quite excited.

Linux! I Didn't Know You Could Do That
An older beginner minded text that covers the basics.

The Complete Reference to Linux, 5th Ed.
5th ed covers the 2.4 kernel, and its based on RH 8.2, but there is alot of
good information there. It deals with Linux with more of a server mentaility,
but is a good reference on the nuts and bolts.

One thing for sure, is to not worry about getting stuff that is a little older
say for the 2.4 kernel, as program names don't change and their root usages
stay the same, so in an older book you will learn the basics, and in a man
page you will learn the details.

--
Linux User #183693
http://counter.li.org/